Thread: WASPS ! !
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
camp2canoe

All good info but a day late and a dollar short - I was stung at least 4 times on the back of my left hand Sunday evening and by Tuesday that hand looked like a football! I visited Prompt Care and was given a cortisone injection (don't ask me where) and today the swelling is down 50%. I bought a house brand wasp spray at Ace Hardware and it worked great - I stood about ten feet from the nest and covered it with a wad of the white foam that killed those suckers dead.

These wasps were extremely agressive - they had a nest on the outside of the rail on our deck and as soon as I rested my hand on the rail it was covered with stinging wasps - fortunately they didn't follow me in to the house. On the other hand, we have mud daubers on our sailboat every year and they are almost like pets - they emerge as we are getting ready to sail and then again when we return to the slip to make certain that we're back in our proper spot. Problem is that the mean ones and the laissez faire mud daubers look a lot alike! - camp2canoe