View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #25
brulaz

Since the OP is primarily considering an AWD SUV, this probably isn't a concern, but many truck purchasers are unaware that the traditional 4x4 is not something you can run on dry or even most wet pavements. It needs very slippery conditions to allow differential wheel spin as it lacks a centre differential.

4x4 is truly an off-pavement or deep snow feature only.

I've never found 4x4 that useful on Ontario highways in the winter as they are usually cleared and salted quickly and so are often only partially snow covered with occasional icy patches. One night our rural highway had enough fresh snow on it to look pure white. I switched to 4x4 and unfortunately baked the centre transfer case right good on the way home. Too much traction!

It used to be that "full-time" AWD (Suburu, VW-Audi, and others) was the gold standard, I think because early "on-demand" AWD was slow to switch, making it only good at lower speeds for getting you out of a ditch.

However newer "on-demand" AWD drive systems are supposed to be very good, even at highway speeds, instantaneously putting traction where you need it, when you need it. I've been told that with the increasing demands of fuel efficiency, and with the improvements in "on-demand" AWD, some vehicles (VW's Touareg) are switching from "full-time" to "on-demand" AWD.

For those interested in pickups, an "on-demand" AWD is now available in some Ford F150 models, like the one Bill described in the Ford Explorer. That's something that I would find more useful than 4x4 on Ontario's highways in the winter.