View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I owned a 2005 Pathfiner LE and loved it so much that when the 2010's came out I traded in my 2005 for a 2010 Pathfinder LE. I didn't even change the color since I loved the red color so much.

But your question is about 4WD Vs AWD. Years and years ago 4WD was mostly found on truck frames. It should be noted that pretty much only military vehicles will apply power to all four wheels at the same time. Making turns is difficult because both differentials are locked. For the consumer market, in many cases, being in four wheele drive usually means applying power to one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back usually on opposite sides. A locking differential will sort of apply power to both rear tires and one front tire. Then things get cloudy with the term limited slip differential.

In recent times, the car manufacturers are making AWD very close to the same function as auto 4WD. But with AWD you usually don't have the same thing as the four wheel LO option that 4WD vehicles have. AWD uses a computer to decide what wheel gets the power and can do so very quickly.

My concern about vehicles that are on a unibody, which AWD is usually found on, is the trailer tongue weight that the TrailManor units have. I believe in my opinion that 400+ pounds of tongue weight is better on a truck frame like higher end SUVs and pickup trucks have than on a unibody type vehicle.

Most anything works well on flat land. Where there are hills, the TV not only needs to get the trailer up the hill, the vehicle is also stressed on the way down the hill especially if you need to change lanes or slow down suddenly.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote