Thread: Single Bar WDH
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Freedom

Bill is right! We tried towing with a lighter WD hitch and we got a lot of bounce - not only that, the single bar on most of those hitches goes down the middle and the tongue jack would be in the way. If the bar goes down one side, it puts a lot of strain on one side of the tongue. We gave up the light WD hitch and got a 750 lb at U-Haul for $250 and it's great. We tow with a 2000 GMC Jimmy, which is identical to yours if you have the tow package. We have towed our 2619 and loaded with 4 people over passes in Colorado and didn't get below 52 MPH. Make sure you push the "Tow/ Haul" button or you will overheat your torque converter. It's a pain to have to remember to push that button every time you turn off the ignition, but it's better than replacing the transmission! I put the sticky part of a sticky note on the tachometer to remind me to push the tow button. Even in Colorado we still averaged 14.1 mpg with the 4.3L Vortec engine. Your 2720 is a little heavier than our 2619, but you can help matters by not filling the water tank and heater. We did have water in the tank because New Mexico water doesn't always agree with my DW's digestive system! That's about 200 lbs you wouldn't have to take along.