View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm sorry to hear that you are in this predicament. The problem may have to do with a dealer who wants to sell you a pricey hitch. Or it may actually have to do with the Ody - seems to me they ride rather low to the ground even without a load, and so you may need a special hitch receiver (not the WDH hitch itself) to deal with this.

However, I can assure you that the problem does NOT have to do with using a WDH on a TM with a swing away hitch (swing tongue). Hundreds of us on this board (including me) have a swing tongue and a WDH, and they co-exist without issues. Most of us (or at least many) have off-the-shelf WDHs from Reese, Draw-Tite, or Hidden Hitch. I don't know how many of those "hundreds" tow with an Ody, but certainly some.

In 12 years running this forum, I have heard of only two cases in which a particular WDH had a problem with a swing tongue. One was a specific Curt hitch with weird-length springbars. The other has been relayed to you earlier in this thread. In both cases, the problem was that the spingbar length was such that the springbar tips, and hence the lift hooks, ended up at the same location as the swing tongue hinges. If you are the third case, the solution would be to choose a hitch with longer or shorter springbars, but I understand that you don't have time for the required research.

I have no reservations about the Equalizer hitch. You will be pleased with it, except for the initial price. But since its springbars are the same length as any other common springbars, I think your dealer is tweaking you. I bet U-Haul could do a better job, but that is opinion speaking, not experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote