View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Jim&Joan

I guess I am at once, sorry to hear about the issues folks seem to be having on recent TM products, but somehow glad I bought a used unit, ...I guess.

Hopefully you will remain around here and learn what the group has to offer. However, I do have to be honest and ask, "How could you have accepted delivery?" I get that some of the issues would only show up over time, but a whole lot of what you are pointing out seem positively 'walkthru spottable'.

I am not sure how you 'don't believe rust', but I am not sure that is a big deal overall. Those parts have been in place for most of the assembly, delivery to dealer, etc. When you pull it down the road, you will continously sandblast the under carriage and then probably pull in in wet conditions. The under rust will be a continous thing. All my TVs have rust underneath. I have not researched this, but I have had the thought that most surface coatings are going to have a tough time being effective on the torsion bars. These things are twisted and untwisted which distorts the surface of the rod. But, if that was a concern to you, why did you take delivery until you were satisfied?

I am not specifically familiar with the layout of your new unit, but the water issue, while certainly annoying for a new item, may not be too big a deal. I had a similar set of symptoms. (Granted we bought ours used. We took it with previous owner to a campground and ran up all the systems. So, this leak was known and negotiated, although not fixed, so I assumed risk.) It turned out to come from two sources. One was the exterior shower which had a loose fitting to the mixing valve. I could tell by the caulking that I wasn't the first one in there. There was still a leak. I was able to see it was coming from the bathroom tub faucet area. Again, it was a loose fitting. I was able to tilt the panel with the faucet out enough to tighten. This eliminated the leak. (The leak ran down the encolsed area and made the rear storage area wet and it leaked at the wall-floor seam from the exterior shower to the rear corner prior to the repair.) You certainly shouldn't have to fix it, not my point, but in my case, it was a couple of simple 'tighten the fitting' to fix.

Starting to sound like buying a trailer needs to be like buying a home, complete walk thru, hire an inspector, and hold a formal 'closing' to transfer funds after buyer acceptance of condition. (Course there's always going to be warranty things pop up.)

Even for new things and things under warranty, I'll often fix it myself because of experiences where things get made worse. As my friends and I like to say about working on our houses, "What's the difference between a homeowner and a professional? The homeowner cares!"

I hope you get all of your issues worked out in time to enjoy the upcoming spring. And I am really disheartened to hear of all of these issues.