View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

I thoroughly appreciate this discussion. The rollover that I experienced (not a TM, just to be clear) was about 18 years ago but like yesterday in my memory. There was no single event that caused the sway-gone-crazy event, we were doing about 45 mph. However, the ambulance driver said he had seen about 30 similar trailer accidents in the same stretch of road. At two seconds into the sway, I let off the gas and applied the trailer brake, can't say it had any effect at all, and at 3 seconds we were rolling. I kept the front tires in the right lane 'til the end. Don't recall the brand or type brake control. Had Reese WD Hitch w/friction bar, in fact DUAL friction bars! Best that could be had in the day.

Marko: if I were you, I'd first check easy stuff like all 6 tire pressures (with a new gage), play in TM wheel bearings, TM axle alignment, heavy stuff on back (like a bike rack), is trailer level when hitched? AND THEN go get weighed after reading all the good how-to posts on the Forum. I went to a grain and feed store for mine, but also gravel yards do it, not expensive.

I wouldn't look at the WDH/Sway Control as a “fix”, maybe more like insurance. As others have said, a TM doesn't really want to sway, so if your's did 3 times something is out of whack, I think

On the Anderson Hitch, it looks good. This is all just my opinion, from my limited experience. When I first researched friction bar anti-sway, I could imagine how the friction would work to keep the trailer straight. But once sway occurs, it doesn't seem like it provides any assistance in returning to straight, maybe it would lessen the intensity of the sway. So then when I researched newer tech WDH/sway, the Equa-li-zer looked like it was similar to the bar (friction), but much improved. The Anderson design is more similar to the bar (friction material), also much improved. On the other hand, the Reese Dual Cam seems to have some assistance in returning to straight. I may have been tricked by good advertising and a good Denver trailer shop, but looking at the design I can see how it might work. So I am not endorsing one hitch over another, the Anderson has some really good features and I'd use it, and I also have a Equalizer that I like. Here's how Reese explains their's:

http://www.reese-hitches.com/learnin...trol-faq-types

wayne

Edit: Met a guy with a Scamp trailer at Walmart. He had installed a friction bar sway control and loved it!

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote