View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Toyota 4Runner replaces Honda ODY

Mine ain't a Toyota or Honda but I do have a how to write up from my F250 Super Duty Owner's Guide. They are talking about a much heavier tow vehicle and trailer than most TM owners have but the principal is the same.
Quote:
Hitches

Do not use hitches that clamp onto the vehicle's bumper or attach to the axle. You must distribute the load in your trailor so that 10%-15% of the total weight of the trailor is on the tongue.

Load Equalizing Hitch

When hooking up a trailor using a load equalizing hitch, always use the following procedure:

1. Park the unloaded vehicle on a level surface. With the ignition on and all doors closed, allow the vehicle to stand for several minutes so that it can level.

2. Measure the height of a reference point on the front and rear bumpers at the center of the vehicle.

3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle and adjust the hitch equalizers so that the front bumper height is within 0-13 mm (0,5 in) of the reference point. After proper adjustment, the rear bumper should be no higher than in Step 2.

Note: Adjusting an equalizing hitch so that the rear bumper of the vehicle is higher than it was unloaded will defeat tha function of the load equalizing hitch and may cause unpredictable handling.
I haven't pulled the TM with this truck yet so I don't know how the combination will perform. I know! I know! I don't need a Super Duty to pull a Trailmanor. I just wanted one and it had to have 4 doors for the grandkids.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote