View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 11:52 AM   #19
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re:Toyota 4Runner replaces Honda ODY

[quote author=RockyMtnRay link=board=20;threadid=1379;start=msg15184#msg1518 4 date=1091287781]
[quote author=Denny_A link=board=20;threadid=1379;start=msg15180#msg1518 0 date=1091246405]

If a WDH is used, the vehicle stays level. The proportional braking feature is defeated.
[/quote]

With all due respect, I disagree with your conclusion. Although a WDH transfers part of the hitch weight to the front wheels, some (a third if the WDH is correctly setup) does remain on the rear wheels. Hence, although the tow vehicle remains level, the rear of the tow vehicle does indeed drop (by comparison to an unladen vehicle), and the brake proportioning valve does thusly increase the amount & percentage of brake force applied to the rear wheels.
[/quote]

Hmm..... it was late and I maybe had tunnel vision. That's the problem with thinking - it's really hard work. :P

Of course, if properly adjusted, 2/3 of the hitch load is transferred to the tv axles. Approx 1/3 to each. The tv then squats a uniform amount (front and rear).

Here's the question. Do folks adjust the number of dropped links based on the attitude of the vehicle when loaded with the hitch installed, or based on measurements taken when the tv is empty? I've done it both ways

I now measure bumper heights before loading the vehicle and installing the hitch. When the trailer is connected I drop the number of links needed to return it to approx the same attitude. Having done that a time or few, I don't bother to repeat often, since the approporiate number of dropped links rarely changes. The tv cargo is nearly always the same.

The 75 to 100 lbs hitch, hanging from the receiver, can appreciably lighten the load on the front axle.

If the attitude of the tow vehicle is determined with cargo loaded and w/hitch installed, the outcome will be different, but probably not very noticeble regarding handling. Assumes one establishes baseline cago + hitch attitude.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote