View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-NY
That sounds good so far...however there are a couple caveats. Most important is that the Catskills are quite low in elevation. Contributors to this forum say you should adjust your towing capacity by 3 to 4 percent for each 1000 feet above sea level. My owner's manual says to adjust by 2 percent per 1000 feet. I am hoping the engine has advanced technology that will make the 2 percent more realistic because it really cuts down on your towing capacity when you reach 8,000 to 12,000 feet.

Jim
Jim,

Comment on power reduction with altitude increase. It is purely a function of rate-of-change of density with altitude - i.e., density altitude. Advanced technology would be that new-fangled invention called a "supercharger"!

Lacking a "charger", Standard Atmospheric Tables indicate that the AVERAGE loss (due to reduced air density) is 2.7% per 1000 ft. If conditions are non-standard, as in hot, the loss of power will be greater. So, 3% loss of power per 1000' elevation gain is probably a reasonable rule-of-thumb.

Denny_A