View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
lnussbau

and while the discharge rate is still the same (10 amps), you have twice the battery capacity, so the impact to both batteries is 1/2 of what it is on a single battery.

True, in terms of current draw, but not necessarily in terms of capacity remaining, since the trailer batteries usually have greater capacity to start with, especially when, like mine, there are two large 6 volt batteries wired in series (so it's a very large 12 volt battery, in effect). So it's likely that the TV battery will run down sooner, though once it drops below 12 volts (not good) there would be some charging effect from the trailer battery.

But I'd certainly agree that an hour or two for lunch, won't cause the trailer battery to run down, and that an isolator is very desirable. I might note that if, like me, you often have an electric cooler in the TV, that drain needs to be considered, as well.

Incidentally, I've found that, so long as the frig and/or the cooler is not opened, an hour or two without power won't cause serious warming of your food, though I'd not want to go much beyond that -- certainly not overnight at a motel, for example.