Thread: 3023 couch/bed
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Bill & Lisa

From an owner of a 3023....

1. The furnace is under the street side couch which is also the one that converts to a bed. It is all the way on the end near the Fridge but I still worry about bed linen hanging down in front of the furnace and potential fire hazard. Not a great design IMHO but I can't think of a better one either....

2. It would be "possible" to bring alond a piece of plywood and suspend it over the gap between the two couches but:
a. the cushions on the curbside couch will not work in the gap as they are wide at the bottom and taper towards the top, so laying them flat doesn't work. I suppose you could but the wider part towards the wall and it create a little bit of a bowl effect but that reduces the room for putting two people in some what.
b. The bridging material would need to be strong and thin so the "ridge" formed where it rests on the two couches can't be felt through the cushions. Maybe metal sheet vice plywood?
c. Access to the front bed in now obtained by "walking" on the lower bed. Most kids and even fewer adults appreciate having someone walk over thier bed especially if it is in the middle of the night and they are in it when someone in the front bed has to use the bathroom. OH by the way, whatever you use to bridge the gap will need to be strong enough so that when one of the front bed folks walks over it on the way to/from their bed it holds up.

I know the book says it sleeps 6 by I only say 5 when I talk to people.

Bill