View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
iam1ru12

Default Introducing Myself - New to the Scene

Hello Everyone,
First I would like to thank the community as whole for all the wonderful information available in this forum. While a noobie to the world of TTs, campers, and towing, I'm certainly a experienced forum user (rest assured, I know how to use the search button )

My wife and I are looking to purchase some sort of Travel Trailer (ruled out pop-ups - not for us) for use with our children (girl- 6yrs, boy 3yrs, and baby boy just days away from joining us). We're hoping to not have to purchase a different vehicle for towing; we currently have a 2003 Honda Odyssey (3,500 lbs towing limit) and a 1999 Honda CR-V (1,000 lbs towing limit). To that end, I'm having some difficultly find the weight of a 2720 (queen and full bed, not the 2720 SD or 2720 SL) with options such as A/C, Awning, Micro, Hanging cabinets, bike hitch. Can anyone provide some real-world weights?

As far as towing, I know I'm approaching the limit of the Odyssey (the TM with options) plus cargo in the TM and cargo in the Ody. However with a robust tranny cooler (Hayden is the brand I'm looking at), PS cooler, WD hitch (still need to figure out exactly how that works) and sway-bars, I'm hopefully the Ody can handle the TM. If not I plan on trading out the CR-V on a 4Runner (5,000 lbs towing limit).

We attended the RV show about 2 weeks back here in Raleigh but we hadn't really done any research so were were just aimlessly looking. I wish we had known what we wanted so we could have made the most of the time; didn't even come across a TM at the show. If there are any TM owners in the Raleigh/Durham area that would like to show off their rig, we would love to just see one.

After browsing the "Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else" (specifically about the toilet), I have a silly question that I'm not sure I can find the answer too.....1.) my assumption is that most campgrounds do not have "dumping" hook ups at each campsite, you must move your rig to the dumping station, right? 2.) Assuming #1 is a "no" can you move the TM in it's "Set Up" position or do you have to collapse the TM to move it to the campground's dumping station? I'm most concerned about the TM making contact with the tow vehicle willing moving it. BTW I would never think of actually towing the TM expanded.

In summary we hope to get the Odyssey "towing ready" this summer and rent various options. Then by next season we hope to actually purchase something based on our rental experiences.

Thanks!
-Mike