View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mike -

Regarding the use of levels. For years, I used a 6-inch carpenter's level with a magnetic strip set into the back. I would set it on the frame rail near the propane tanks to measure fore-aft levelling, then turn it sideways to measure left-right levelling. Worked well.

Then I decided to go high tech, and bought a couple of the little 2-inch stick-on tube levels, so I could level the TM before unhitching and setting up. I carefully levelled the TM, then glued one on the front face of the TM's upper shell near the front window (to measure left-right levelling). Then I glued the other on the upper shell sidewall, just behind the front wall (to measure fore-aft levelling). The next night, I proudly used these levels to set the TM EXACTLY right. Then I opened the shells, stepped inside, and found the floor to be slanted badly in both directions. How could it be?

As near as I can tell, the shells can (and do) move with respect to the frame and floor. Depending on where they come to rest at the end of the day of driving, they can be off level in any direction. So a level shell does not guarantee a level floor - and a level floor is what you want.

So I agree with Dave - I'm back to using my carpenter's level on the frame. Works every time.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote