View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Almost everything can run from either battery power or propane. The big exceptions are the air conditioner and a microwave if you have one.

12-volt and/or propane-capable appliances include refrig, stove and oven, all lights, water pump, water heater, furnace, radio, and toilet.

Propane is easy to carry to your site, of course, but you will need some way to recharge the battery. A couple solar panels is a nice idea for a fixed installation, assuming you have a sunny spot to put the panels in. A small generator (like a Honda EU1000i) is also a good idea. If you want to run the air conditioner, you will need a bigger generator. Some people have found that a Honda EU2000i will run the airco - some have found that it will not, and suggest either a pair of EU2000i or a slightly bigger gen such as the Yamaha 2400. For a private location such as you describe, you can also use a homeowner-contractor grade generator, but they are noisy enough that you shouldn't plan to bring it along when you hit the road to some real campgrounds.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote