View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78crewcabjohn
I bought a used 1992 tm and an dewinterizing and testing stuff before camping. I ran two small thin orange type extension cords from my garage to use 110 volt power. When I tried the air conditioner it would not run the compressor. when I when to a heavier cord it would cycle on and off quickly. Is this normal or is it low on freon? Does the camper have to be perfectly level for the frig. to operate? Does it have to have items in it to operate? Thanks for you help...I'm new to TM's. JOHN
John,
I came across this writeup at the "Trailer Life" web site. It addresses some of the things that you mentioned in your original post.

"To activate the 120-volt AC system (other than through use of an inverter), the RV is plugged into a campground power source, typically referred to as shore power. A heavy power cord, rated for 30 amps, is best to properly supply electricity to operate all the on-board accessories. A light-gauge cord of inadequate amp rating is not suitable for such things as air-conditioner startup, which imposes a heavy electrical load. If the roof air conditioner or other heavy appliances are not going to be operated, a 12-gauge cord may be used, but it should not exceed 25 feet in length. If an extension cord is used in conjunction with the RV's original power cord, the extension should be of the same gauge, so as not to diminish the electrical rating. When a 30-amp supply is not available, adapters may be plugged into the 30-amp power cord to allow it to be connected to 15-amp or 20-amp outlets. However, this arrangement may reduce the ability to operate more than one appliance at a time".

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote