View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Grouse

Susie & Bill,

I was a tent camper for 20+ years in backpacking tents. My first foray in an RV was in our in-laws 1983 Shasta Class C motor home. Right away you discover that once you get to camp you really need a good reason to leave....there's alot to unhook and sometimes leveing isn't all that easy.

This was really driven home when we borrowed the Shasta for a Kentucky Derby trip. Got to camp and after a half hour of setting up discovered we absolutely had to make a run to the store. Another 20 minutes to disconnect, travel to the store, then another 30 minutes to relevel and set back up. What a bother. Of course, there was an upside, as the "drunks" in our group couldn't take the unit into downtown Louisville. (for you skeptics out there we hadn't started drinking b4 setting up/taking down and setting up again).

This was driven home last year in Pokagon State Park in Indiana. I backed my unit on a sloping campsite using every piece of leveling blocks I had brought with. Ended up with precarious make do engineering marvel that some how didn't break apart & bring our trailer down. Can't imagine disconnecting from that site to run to the store with a Camping van or motor home. Pretty easy to do with a tow vehicle.

Even if you are traveling every day I think you can see that leveling and hooking up over and over again at the same site is probably not that much fun.

Whatever you decide, enjoy camping. Great people, great scenery and memories to last a life time!

al & karyl