View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Roof air on the front shell became standard with the '02 models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Hi all,

My wife & I are thinking a TM is in our future. Have our TV ('99 Toyota 4Runner) and WDH. Now need TM! We will most likely be buying a pre-owned unit. Our garage opening measures 83" high (6' 11"). I *really* don't want to get home with my newly-acquired TM only to find it doesn't fit!

The question: Can anyone tell me which years & models came with side A/C? Also, are there any significant disadvantages to this arrangement vs. roof A/C?

Follow up question: Should I be concerned with the above height dimensions? I could see where it might squeak in if completely level, but driveways tend to slope, meaning that the back of the TM will kick up higher when being backed in.

I've really appreciated everyone on this board over the past year or so - you all have taught me much. Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Steve
Adding a tiny bit to the answers given above...roof air on the front shell became standard starting with the '02 models. Some of the earlier, larger models (e.g. 3023) had a roof AC on the rear shell. However, I would strongly recommend against pulling any TM larger than a 2720 series with a '99 4Runner...both from a power and tow vehicle wheelbase point of view.

An 83 inch opening probably won't work with any TM that has front shell roof air and the lift kit. If it's an '04 (maybe '03) with the lower profile roof AC and has the lift kit, you might be able to squeeze it in by greatly reducing tire pressure...but then you'd have to air the tires back during storage (and repeat the air down/air up routine when you pull the trailer back out again).

As noted above, the lift kit is highly desirable.

FWIW, my garage opening is 79 inches so I had to order my '02 sans AC as I really wanted the lift kit. In early '04, I retrofitted my TM with side AC...a 10000 BTU unit that seemed to work fine the one time I tried it (the summer of '04 was one of the coldest on record here in Colorado).

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote