View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Now look what I've gone and done....

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=23;threadid=1892;start=msg13388#msg1338 8 date=1083394377]
We finally got tired of looking, waiting, and wanting... We gathered our courage... and counted our beans... then ordered a new 2619 today! This will be the first RV we have ever owned, and now a whole new set of worries and great expectations are dancing around in our heads.
Heck I've never even towed anything before... oh well, I guess I'll just have to learn by doing.
[/quote]

Congratulations. Lotsa people will give you tips on the walkthrough, I'll offer a couple on the towing part.
  • Towing, as in moving down a road, is fairly easy...just remember to keep the trailer well centered in the lane (big towing mirrors and frequent checking help here).
  • Lane changes are a bit challenging until you learn exactly where the back end of the trailer is. BIG (like McKesh) towing mirrors are a huge help here.
  • Stopping can be exciting if you don't have a really good trailer brake controller...so spend the extra $60 over the cheapest and buy the best: either Tekonsha Prodigy or Jordan. Once set up, you never have to adjust either of these controllers for speed...they just work!
  • Backing is probably the biggest challenge...and many campground campsites are not pull-throughs. Yes, gasp, you will sometimes have to back the trailer into a tight, tree-lined campsite and you will be judged by your fellow campers on how smoothly you can do this. The #1 way to make backing fairly easy is to always remember to move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer's back end to go. The #2 way is use your mirrors instead of looking over your shoulder to watch the where the trailer is going while backing. The #3 way is to get a pair of FRS radios (or similar walkie talkies) to aid communication between the driver and the "spotter" when backing...it will greatly reduce the amount of shouting and frantic arm waving that happens. While shouting and frantic arm waving are enormously entertaining to other denizens of the campground, it's my observation that they're not very effective in achieving a smooth backup operation. ;D

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote