View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Mr. Adventure,

I guess that my perspective on this is is influenced by the time period when I became interested in cars and hot rodding. That was in the 1950's. In those days we all said, "The only substitute for cubic inches is MORE cubic inches".

It does seem to me that a long stroke, slow turning engine is going to suffer less wear and tear per mile than a high revving smaller motor.

Speaking of 45 mph in the right lane: On my recent trip we stayed in the KOA in Flagstaff, AZ. There I saw a VW Vanagon with a class three reciever sticking out of a hole cut in the rear bumper. The trailer in that site was a 50'-60's style "canned ham" travel trailer about 17 feet long.

If he tows that trailer with that VW, 45mph is probably at the "in your dreams" level.

Tom
Tom,
Those old 50's and 60's cars don't have many good lessons to offer about durability. As I can recall, they were getting long in the tooth well before today's cars when measured in either miles or years.

There has to be lots of data on your proposition for durability with low vs high rpm engines, but I certainly can't offer you any encouragement from my own experience.

The VW bus as tow vehicle: The good news is that they probably won't be doing this very long!
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote