View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
camperboy

After reading this thread I would think the answer to towing with a sub-compact SUV like the Escape would be clear. I would not endanger the lives of my family, myself and others on the road with this combination. I tow a 3023 with a Ford Ranger (GCVW 9500lbs, rate to two 5660) and consider myself to be right at the limits of my vehicle. Not in terms of power, but in terms of stability, safety and braking. My parents own an Escape and I would not want to attempt to tow our TM with it. Put simply, there is not enough TV to control the TM.

Now if you'll consider a scenario similar to something that I experienced a couple of years ago:

You are passing a on-ramp on the right in heavy traffic at 60 mph when a semi-trailer forces the vehicle next (2 lane on-ramp) to your passenger door to sharply cut into you. You have a choice to take the hit, panic brake, or swerve. In my case there was a opening large enough for my rig to my left and I was able to move over a half a lane and brake very hard at the same time. I could really feel the trailer push on the truck, and had the road been wet (it was sunny that day) I think we might have needed a couple of wreckers to clean up the mess. Yeah, it was that close. The trucker that caused it never slowed down. My point is that if I were driving any smaller a TV the outcome might well have been less pleasent.

Even with saftey issues aside, consider the mechanical strain on an Escape. In NY most speed limits are still 55. Now once you get out to Ohio and beyond speed limits increase to 75. I cruised at 70 and barely felt that I was not a roadblock, and that is over 3 years ago. Form your own opinion. Your TV will be working very, very hard. And don't forget the mountains, both up and down. How much do you trust your brakes?

I would consider having the TM shipped to the west coast, and pick it up there if you don't have the option of a different TV, or even ship right to Hawaii.

If you must tow, get a quality class III WDH such as an Equalizer or Reese dual cam, and a good brake controller (Prodigy). Try to load only what you need and consider shipping the rest ahead of you. And never, ever tow in OD with that Escape. Drive ahead, anticipate stops, etc. Take the rig to a trcuk scale and weight it, loaded to travel.

My apologies, I'm being harsh and very critical. I simply don't believe you have a safe combination. If you seach for posts from RockyMtnRay you can read about his experiences with a Jeep Cherokee, which is somewhat larger than the Escape. Very insightful.

Peace, and safe travels to you.