View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Exclamation Compare Escape to Honda Pilot??

I use an '04 Honda Pilot with a class III hitch, WDH, trans cooler, and p/s cooler to pull a 2720SL. Having just returned from ~2500 mile 13-day trip from CA to WA and back I have concluded that the Pilot is about the minimum TV I would like to use. With two in the TV and not loaded down excessively I did drop to 45MPH on the 7% x 3 mile long grades in southern OR; I expected, and accepted, this as one drawback to a smaller TV. On curvy roads I would have been a bit more comfortable with a "beefier" TV but did not believe that I was a danger to myself or others by using the Pilot. There were no over-heating issues, though I did chose the coast route through CA both ways rather than the 100+ degree heat of the Sacramento Valley and part of OR.
Braking on the long down-grades was not a problem; I adjusted one boost (B1) into the Prodigy and all went well. Towing on flat ground, well, I did not know the TM is back there most of the time.
You may want to compare the Escape specs to those of the Pilot to get a feel for what you may, or may not, be up against. IMHO, the Pilot is now a "demonstrated minimum" TV, at least for my peace of mind.
Best of Luck,
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote