View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuck1
I could not find anything in the 2003 Ford Towing Guide which states that a WDH should not be used with a Ford Escape, even in the sections which explain weight-carrying and weight-distributing hitches.
I am looking at the middle of page 13 of https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...3/2003_All.pdf, describing a "Weight-Carrying (Non-Weight-Distributing) Hitch" where it says "... Use a good weight-carrying hitch that uniformly distributes the trailer tongue loads through the bumper and frame (through the body with Escape)"... Note that this is a weight CARRYING hitch - but the mention of weight being distributed through the body of the Escape, as opposed to the frame as in every other Ford vehicle, together with the entire lack of info on a WDH, suggests that this vehicle will not properly accept a WDH. Your interpretation may vary, of course.

Quote:
As for the oil cooler - doesn't this come with the tow package (I don't know, I'm just asking) ?
Doesn't seem so. Page 17 of the same document shows that the factory tow package for the Escape includes an engine oil cooler, but that a trans cooler is not available. You could add one aftermarket, of course ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote