View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
pbuck1

I could not find anything in the 2003 Ford Towing Guide which states that a WDH should not be used with a Ford Escape, even in the sections which explain weight-carrying and weight-distributing hitches. The document only says that the largest OEM tow package offering for the Escape is a class II hitch. Does this imply that a class III hitch and a WDH should not be used? I don't know, but I think that implication would be a stretch. Certainly, all the major aftermarket hitch manufacturers produce a class III device for the Escape which has weight distributing capability (note that few, if any, class II hitches have a weight distributing capability). Here's an example of some hitches:
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...scape&GO=GO%21

I think the 390lb tongue weight figure is for a stripped down, no-option, dry 3023 and in reality it will be well over 400 lbs and more than "a little" over the 300lbs class II hitch rating.

So, it is not cut and dried either way, but you can probably tell that if it were me, I would want to try an aftermarket class III with a WDH. This is because it is clear that the tongue weight spec is being violated without one and also because the Escape is primarily a front-wheel-drive vehicle. I would probably err on the light side of WDH use, i.e. not adjust it to take out all the rear end droop, just a lot of it.

First, though, I would see what my manual says, and I might even check around on the web, e.g. Ford forums, etc. for other clues.

As for the oil cooler - doesn't this come with the tow package (I don't know, I'm just asking) ?

-Paul