View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 09:18 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but Ford describes the Escape as a "subcompact SUV". This suggests that it is perhaps not the best tow vehicle for any camp trailer, including a 3023.

You are running really close to the edge, if not over it. The Ford web site says that for the 2003 Escape V-6, the max trailer weight is 3500 pounds. Note that this means LOADED-FOR-THE-ROAD weight, which is nowhere near the dry weight (in fact, you should use this board's ADVANCED SEARCH function to look for our extensive discussions of dry weight).

Similarly, a Class II hitch is mighty light - but it is the heaviest offered by Ford as part of the factory Towing Package. Again, the Ford web site says that the max tongue weight for a 2003 Escape with a Class II weight-carrying hitch (not weight distributing) is 300 pounds. The tongue weight of your loaded-for-the-road TM will be almost double this.

And finally, the Ford web site suggests that the Escape will not accept a WDH. Again judging from the Ford web site, this is apparently because the Escape does not have a traditional frame - towing loads are carried by the body. And the body (unlike a traditional frame) will not tolerate the torque (twisting loads) imposed by a WDH.

I haven't done the calculations on Gross Combined Weight for the Escape. But you should do them. GCW is the weight of the Escape itself, plus all passengers, plus all the cargo you put in it, plus the total loaded weight of the trailer. The GCW rating for the Escape is 6880 pounds. The trailer will run at least 3500 pounds, probably a bit more. You add the weight of the Escape itself, plus the weight of any options that were added to the Escape, plus the weight of passengers and cargo. As a separate calculation, you should determine the gross weight you will put on the rear axle, and compare it to the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) for the rear axle. My guess is that your rig is well overweight on both counts.

The Escape's Factory Towing Package does not include a transmission cooler, so unless you have an aftermarket unit installed, this situation is likely to cause some expensive problems.

Finally, the Escape's Factory Towing Package includes only a 4-pin electrical plug, which means you can't run the electric brakes on the trailer. This is a really REALLY bad thing, and is also illegal. Unless you had a non-factory 7-pin electrical connector retrofitted, along with an electric brake controller?

I think you need to study your vehicle a bit more. Start with the trailer towing guide for your vehicle, found at https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...ng/default.asp
It covers all of the above issues in non-technical easy-to-understand language.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote