View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #12
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy eggo
Ok, just when I was about to give up, I stumbled across a thread that has given me hope.

http://www.x5world.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=hitch

Check out the picture of the X5 pulling a 9,000 lb Airstream!!

My X5 is spec'ed out nearly identical to this guy's X5 - minus the Dinan goodies. Now I'm thinking I can pull that ole TM with no problem so long as I have the setup properly dialed in.
Now that borders on insanity. I note his location is Houston....and I'd dare say he's not doing much towing in the Rockies or high Sierra being some 3000 lbs over his GCWR...350 ft-lbs of torque or not. The good side is he is using a Hensley so even with a 111 inch WB tow vehicle and a 31 foot trailer, he actually may have a fairly good handle on sway control. But Hensley or not, trying to control that much trailer on a tight, steeply descending mountain curve with only 111 inches of WB is an almost-guaranteed disaster.

You still need to check that tongue weight issue...WDH or weight carrying...if you want to maintain the warranty.
Quote:
Ray, we might be "on" for that tractor pull yet. Know anyone in CO wanting to sell a gently used TM?
<*quickly runs torque, weight, and axle ratio numbers*>...."Bring it On"

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote