Thread: Tires Rubbing
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2023, 11:24 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Rick -

You are going down the same line of thought as I was, but with a couple exceptions.

He said he still has the OEM tires on the trailer. They didn't rub before, but they do now. So nothing involving tire change will get us there.

He still has whatever axle he had before, whether 3500-pound or 5200-pound. Again, they didn't rub before, but they do now.

If he had a lift kit and removed it, that could cause the problem. But I think he would have mentioned that.

Tire size? Would a 205 tire be smaller than a 215 tire?

My first thought was that the plastic wheel well liner had dropped downward somehow. But I think he is going to tell us that the tires are rubbing on both sides, and I'm not sure I'm ready to believe that both wheel well liners dropped the same amount at the same time.

My next thought was that the rubbing is actually happening on the side (side corner) of the wheel well liner, not the top. But I'm waiting for confirmation of that or denial of that thought. And as before, I'm not sure how that would start happening, unless the wheel well liner somehow got narrower.

The rubbing could happen if the trailer was very heavily loaded. But I'm going to think that he left his collection of manhole covers at home.

Having said all that, I am left with your line of thought. Something has happened to the suspension - either the axle, or the axle mounting. That was the reason for my query about the visual height of the tire as viewed against the lower edge of the box. I still want to see that.

Other ideas welcome, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote