View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMD View Post
As always, thank you for the thoughtful responses and insight. I was leaning toward the suitcase, but am now reconsidering a permanent install. As I think about it, the following thoughts and questions come to mind.

1.On my 3023, it looks like I would have room for three 100 watt panels on the rear shell. For three panels, with hardware, it looks like that would add around 50 pounds of weight. For those who have installed hard panels, has the extra weight made a noticeable difference in opening the shell? Is this bad for the torsion system? Since the air conditioner on the front shell weighs more than this, I presume it’s no big deal, right?

2.Regarding VHB tape vs. fasteners, I think I would be paranoid about the tape failing resulting in the panels flying off with an ugly ending on a highway. Also, I wonder if removing the tape in the future would damage the paint/finish. My concern with drilling for fasteners is that, if I ever wanted to replace the panels or change configuration, then I’d have extra holes that I don’t want. So, I was wondering about this: Using some Z-brackets and aluminum bars, install a permanent “roof-rack” (two parallel bars like a luggage rack on a vehicle) on top of which additional aluminum bars could be bolted perpendicularly wherever needed, on which the solar mounts would be bolted. Then, if I desire or need to change out the solar panels or change the configuration, I could remove the panels and redesign the “grid system” that attaches to the permanent “roof-rack.” I would just need to drill different holes in the aluminum “roof-rack” bars. Does this make sense? Also, this would potentially eliminate the issue of mounting flat, rigid panels on a curved roof, right? Thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Hi John- I took the exact approach you've mentioned for my installation of 600 watts of solar on an array that I've placed on the rear shell of my 2922KB.

The total weight of the 6 solar panels along with the rectangle aluminum bar used for the framing weighs just over 100 pounds. I've adjusted my rear torsion bars to make up for the weight, but think that I've hit about the maximum additional weight that I'd put on the rear shell. My TrailManor is only a year old and I can adjust the torsion bar further, when needed.

My 600 watt array covers almost the whole of the rear shell (when closed)...so I'd think you should be fine with 1/2 that, but I think when you start sizing solar panels you`ll find that it makes more sense to put 4 panels up there instead of 3.

I did the math and didn't want to 8 holes in the TrailManor roof shell for each panel so I mounted my panels to rectangle aluminum bar which is fastened via riv nuts to the aluminum edge channel. This way I only have 6 holes per side.

My array has been installed for about 3 months and has sustained camping wind gusts over 45 mph and trailering winds over 75 mph. It's been exposed to multiple rain storms and has been towed over 4000 miles.

You should be fine with 1/2 to 2/3 the weight if your torsion bars are in good shape and you mind the shift in rear weight behind the axle.

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote