View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I haven’t installed anything yet. Just haven’t had the time. But when I do, I’ll use some 3M VHB tape. But I’ll use more than 4 brackets per 100 watt panel, I think, or I may just get some long Z channel and use it along the entire length of each panel (or maybe 2 long brackets, to allow for some drainage off the roof).

Yes, you won’t be able to move the panels out of the shade when mounted on your roof, but keep in mind that your wire will have to be long enough to the panel to reach shade. Probably best to do to have such a long run, I think, between the controller and panel as that will be higher voltage than between the battery and controller. Otherwise there could be a significant voltage drop if you don’t use big enough wire. And note that most premade solar briefcases the controller is mounted to the panel, so right away you’d have to modify it. You could also readily make your own briefcase….it’s not hard. All you need is a controller, a panel(s), and some connectors. Wiring 2 panels in series will get you a higher output voltage and therefore better shade performance.

We often camp in the shade too, but I still decided against a briefcase for the reasons stated above, and I also didn’t want to be chasing sun all day. I would rather add additional panels to compensate for the shade than do a briefcase.

I only have one fluorescent fixture in my TM, and I got a conversion kit which was basically LEDs inside a fluorescent looking bulb. It may have even been cheaper at the time, though that was several years ago, but the advantage was that you could keep your existing fixture. Has worked great for us.

Where do you live, John? If someone is nearby, they may be able to come help you do an install.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote