View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Not to be disrespectful here, but Yosemite allows soft sided camper and tents.
If the camper is hard-sided, you can have food inside the camper. If it's a soft sided or tent then you'll have to use the bear lockers for food and any other tasty or smelly items. I've been told in the past, in other bear country, refrain from using perfumes or smelly deodorants, since that can attract bears.
The best thing is do yer research before you make reservations or reach out to the camp ground for info prior to making reservations.
I will admit that it has been a number of years since we camped in Yosemite and King's Canyon in our first TM. But at that time, at least some campgrounds (possibly not all, I should have said that) would not admit tent trailers. We watched some being turned away at the campground entrance. A ranger came by as soon as we were parked and set up, and gave us the "bear story". He told us that all food that has a smell (unopened canned food was an obvious exception) MUST be stored in bear boxes during the night - it was not optional. He also told us that any smelly cosmetics - soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc) had to be stored in the bear boxes - again, not optional. And all trash had to go in bear-proof dumpsters before nightfall.

After dinner, a ranger came around to every newly-arrived trailer, and gently but insistently checked the trailer for any forbidden items. He told us that everyone does it wrong the first night, but it was important. I agreed, and added a few smelly items to the bear box. Beyond that, coolers were not allowed overnight in the passenger compartment of a car unless they were covered with a rumpled up blanket. The ranger told us that bears have learned to recognize any rectangular box shape as a cooler, and will try to get at it even if it has no smell. And they have been known to rip open a car door (!) to get at it. He had pictures of that - what a mess! And if they can rip open a car door, they can rip open a camper door. That got our attention, for sure.

Perhaps bears are better behaved now - it is actually possible, since rules against feeding wildlife are much more stringent now than they were in the past, so bears are not as accustomed to handouts. And not all campgrounds have grizzlies in the area. Canvas restrictions are not in force at all campgrounds, and I should have made that clear. But a quick read of several RV forums such as the Jayco Owners Forum tells us that a number of owners have actually encountered canvas restrictions at SOME campgrounds, just as we did. Among those mentioned as actual experience (not rumors) were SOME at Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Jasper, and a number in Wyoming. In each case, it was said that there were other campgrounds within reach that did allow canvas. And in some cases the canvas bans were temporary, so I should have mentioned that. But I won't take much risk in grizzly country.

The best advice is in your last sentence. Do your research before reserving.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote