View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
S&C-Nevada

Default Advice for prospective buyer

Hello. I’m a prospective travel trailer buyer. This is my first post on your forum.

I’ve not owned a travel trailer before. In the past, I’ve hiked and backpacked and we’ve car camped. We’re older now, recently retired, and my wife has declared she is no longer interested in tent camping. I’ve done some research and concluded a folding tent trailer or a Trailmanor will meet our needs.

I own a 1999 Toyota 4Runner, SR5 4x4 with 3.4 L V-6 engine, 5-spd manual transmission and a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. The truck’s GVWR is 5250 lbs with a curb weight of 3885 lbs. We generally travel light, so I believe our payload will be less than 1365 lbs, assuming a tongue weight of 350-400 lbs. I realize the 4Runner is a mediocre tow vehicle (short wheel base and high center of gravity) but it meets my other needs. And it’s the vehicle I have.

I’d like to purchase a used Trailmanor 2417KD. We like the floor plan-we need only one bed and prefer the dinette. Its weight (2280 lbs dry and about 3530 lbs loaded) appears to be within the capacity of the truck. However, I’ve not been able to find this model. The 2720QD appears to be more common. The floor plan is acceptable. However, it is about 600 lbs heavier (2865 lbs dry and 4075 lbs loaded.)

So, I’d like advice on my purchase. I’d prefer the 2417KD. It weighs less the 80 percent of the rated tow capacity of the truck. The 2720QD is more available and meets the truck’s towing requirements on paper, but I’ve read the operational weights of Trailmanor trailers are heavier than the specified weights. Is the 2720 too much trailer for the 4Runner?

Thank you.

Steve
S&C-Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote