View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Kush Wood

Smile Condensation control in spring/fall

Last year my wife and I stayed in the TM up until late fall on Vancouver Island, BC and the temperature was a steady 12 degrees Celsius (or 53F). As a result we dealt with a lot of condensation issues and the main one that I want to bring attention to here is that our matresses ended up damp on the bottom.

We tried placing a sheet of vapor barrier underneath but that didn't help it. We also placed a layer of straw between vapor barrier sheets and the mattress with no success.

Since we are planning some spring time camping at the end of this week I wonder what my best options would be to rectify this issue. The temperature will be about the same as it was when we left off in the fall (the plus side is that we can at least anticipate eventual rising temperatures versus dropping).

We are considering trying 2" foam board insulation pieces to fit the bed area. Otherwise would skirting make a big difference here? And does anybody have skirting for their TM that they could recommend?

On the upside we have a woodstove but the downside is that we don't have the proper heat shielding yet to be able to use it. It seems difficult in this small town to find someone who can make a custom heat shield for what we need.

So in conclusion my main question is: will the 2" foam board work for the beds or is skirting necessary?

Any suggestions are appreciated..