View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You've probably never been backpacking, have you? Your stuff is going to be very tight fit in a 2720. I have a 2720SL, so I have a comparable amount of room while closed.

You don't say what your tow vehicle is, but since you're towing a 25' hybrid and have 4 kids, I'm going to assume it's a super-size SUV or 3/4 ton pickup. Thus, some of this above stuff will be able to fit in it. Note that the TM lacks storage space of any kind above counter level, so my guess is you're going to have to start paring down some of your stuff. Furthermore, the TM axle is already pretty much maxed out on weight, so if you're going to be loading it down with a ton of stuff, you are going to have to make some upgrades to make the TM safe, including a heftier axle, 15" wheels, and you're not going to want to travel with full water tanks. So even if you could fit it all in there, there's a good chance you'd be overweight. Between the toilet, water heater, and fresh water tanks, we carry about 240 lbs of water. There is also food and clothes for 2 of us, 2 chairs, bedding, pots/pans, etc., and the few times I have weighed the TM we are 3800-4000 lbs, and that is pretty much right at the limit. That does not include the stuff in the TV, like the grill, firewood, non-perishables, and the dog.

But going down your list:
  • Clothes for 6, linens, towels, shoes, jackets, etc. - I think you can make that all fit if you pack very smartly. Six people makes for alot of stuff.
  • Pantry of food - could also make this fit if again, you packed very carefully
  • Perishables and drinks - perishables yes, if you packed wisely, but other than that, I think you'll have a hard time packing a bunch of soft drinks and other individually packed beverages in the fridge. It's small, since it can't be taller than the counter. But you can use a cooler for this, and many members do.
  • 4-6 mountain bikes - I've never tried it, but I'm guessing 2 bikes, maybe 3 max, can fit inside. There are mixed reports about carrying a bike rack on a hitch receiver on the rear of the TM, but you can put a rack on the front of the TV. You can also put them on the roof of the TV.
  • Weber Q-120 grill - in the TM, probably not with any bikes.
  • 6 camp chairs - maybe. It's going to be tight with the bikes.
  • Camp tools, hand tools, and emergency repair parts - yes
  • Trailer equipment / leveling / chocking / sewer / etc. - yes
  • 8 spin fishing rods & tackle box - maybe, going to be a little tight with the bikes. But you might be able to mount some large PVC drain pipe under the trailer frame and store the rods in there.
  • 2-3 fly fishing poles & vests - see above
  • 14' folding Portabote with seats, transom, ores, lifejackets - highly doubtful. You might be able to figure a way to mount it to the roof, though. I know some folks have mounted a canoe to the TM roof, with the disadvantage being that it cannot be mounted until the TM is closed, and it must be removed before the TM can be opened.
  • 55lb trolling motor - probably not in the TM.

Strictly from a space perspective, if you didn't take the bikes, or they were on your very well equipped and very capable TV, you could probably put everything in the TM except the boat and motor. But weight might be a different story.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote