View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
TexasCamper

Default Raising TM on uneven ground

I'll add my 2-cents to keep piling up the truth to this question.

I haven't even bothered to purchase leveling blocks. Sometimes we've gotten an uneven site where there is a visible delta between the one wheel and the other (that's when I want leveling blocks, because I'm nearly lifting the one tire off the ground with the stabilizers).

Before I open the TM, I level the front-to-back angle with the electric jack. I have two stick-on bubble-levels near the jack to help me (although those stick-ons are never perfect). My wife and I then open the two shells (although I could do it myself). Now if the wheel-to-wheel angle is visibly off, I can tell the shell leans to one side. There are two corner latches per shell that need to be set once the shell is lifted. If the shell is leaning to one side, you may need to lean on the shell with one hand while you engage the corner latch. If I drove one wheel up on a leveling block, this issue would go away.

Once both shells are up, we gain entry into the camper. My wife begins setting up inside the camper while I level the camper with the stabilizers. I have a portable bubble level that I position on the fridge counter to level the camper. Besides checking front-to-back and wheel-to-wheel angles, I'll also check frontright-to-backleft and frontleft-to-backright angles. But based on Bill's prior note I may be too much of a perfectionist in getting the fridge level. You learn something every day on this forum!

- John
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote