Thread: Tongue weight
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
We don't have anything yet. We are researching both a new vehicle and a potential TT. My wife would be driving it mostly and doesn't like the bigger SUV's (we have three kids and a pick up is out). We test drove the Expedition and the Sequoia. We are going to look at the new 2011 Explorer when it comes out (it's rated at 5000lbs) because I don't think the Honda Pilot can handle the hitch weight and it doesn't recommend a WDH. The other three row mid size SUV's don't have the room in the 3rd row we are looking for or the storage capacity behind the 3rd row. The TM seems to be a good combination of hard sided TT that is roomy enough for a family of 5 and light enough to be towed by a mid sized SUV comfortably.
If you are considering a mid-sized SUV, a WDH is a must IMO. The shorter WB makes a big difference in how much control you have when removing weight from the front axle w/o a WDH.

Having a large family makes the selection of the correct TV more critical. The extra body weight and cargo weight must be considered. Kids tend to get heavier and bring more stuff as they grow older too. IMHO the Expedition or Suburban class vehicle may be a good choice for a larger family (and all that incorporates).

If you are considering buying a new (or later model) TM, they are now installing 15" tires from the factory (which is a good improvement). If you are considering buying an earler TM with 14" tires, just figure on spending another $500 to upgrade to a lift kit and 15" load range "D" or "E" tires.

If I were considering purchasing a new TM, I would ask them to build it with a 5K# axle (it couldn't be more than $200 difference). That would remove a lot of concern about the effects of the WDH and total trailer weight. I don't like the idea of the GVW being so close to the maximum carrying capacity of the axle.