View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I didn't know about this issue myself, so I consulted my owners manual. Attached is the relevant portion.

My specific vehicle:

GWR = 6,600 (presumably the GVWR, taken from the sticker on the door jamb)
Towing capacity = 6,500 (from the manual)
GCWR = 11,800 (from the manual; this is not the sum of the above 2 numbers; I'm not sure why.)

To me, the stated GCWR seems to imply that adding cargo to the TV does not subtract from the towing capacity.

Dave
Dave, the GWR is the max weight that the vehicle itself can handle towing or not towing but including the trailer TW when towing.

The towing capacity is the maximum amount that the TV can tow without exceeding the GCWR...In other-words, when towing the max tow rating (6500# in this case), the TV can handle a max of 5300# (incl trailer TW). There are other ratings that must not be exceeded also.

Ratings must always be considered individually for each circumstance when towing. It's important that ALL ratings be considered. One cannot pick & choose which rating to ignore.

If this vehicle were towing my TM @ 4,000#, the TV would have a capacity of maximizing the TV's payload as long as no other ratings (tires, axles, wheels etc) were exceeded.