Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
P and B

Patrice- My family owned one of the original VW conversion vans we bought while my dad was stationed in Weisbaden in the early 60's. It wasn't Westphalia per se but might have been a better layout. We brought it back to the US (I was in the 4th grade) and converted it to 12V (from 6V). It went through several engines and transmissions but I eventually inherited it in high school (yes, high school). That camper was everywhere! Heck, when I got rid of it after it's nth engine breakdown, a buddy of mine that was going to VPI saw it in Blacksburg. It had an ARRL sticker in the rear window (that's the Ham Radio association). Lots of memories there I can tell you.

After I married in the late 70's early 80's, my wife and I bought a Westphalia camper. We went on a lot of camping excursions in that thing but had a lot of issues with Volkswagon USA. Somebody hit it on the side and I eventually replaced it with the Rockwood Class C. Still, those vans were great conversions. In our old age though, we like the full hookups, shower and our own facilities in general ;-)

I'm an old Eagle Scout but I'm leaving the "roughing it" to the the grandkid's generation these days. You'll have a great time with the TM.

Phil