View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
ng2951

Quote:
1. How good of a deal is $12,800 for the 2005 3124 kb, assuming it is in excellent condition?
Depends on the equipment and shape. It seems like a fair to just above fair price.
Quote:
2. Am I ok from a tow/weight perspective witht the 4runnner?
I think you are in the ballpark. One of the main things you want is a transmission cooler. I think if your vehicle has tow rating of 5k# it probably lacks a cooler. That can be added.
Quote:
3 Should I use sway bars, or something to this effect?
Yes and WDH would be a good idea too.
Quote:
4. I will be traveling to a different state to make this purchase. Any advice on how I should go about getting a loan in one state and making the purchase in another. note: the $500. deposit is contingent that the trailer is in excellent condition. I haven't actually seen the trailer yet, just photos. I won't know if I will actually purchase the trailer until I see/inspect it. Because of the distance I will be traveling, I would like to purchase and bring home the trailer in a single trip if it all checks out. I have excellent credit, so I'm not concerned with qualifying, it's just the logistics that have me confused. I'm sure after speaking with the credit union tomorrow morning I will have an answer.
Some RV dealers will do all of that for you, especially if the seller is buy another RV from them. For what it costs, and the fact that they know all the laws it is probably well worthwhile. For us, it did not cost anything (the seller was buying a very expensive trailer from the dealership, so everyone was happy) and the dealer knew all the "Ts" to cross and which "Is" to dot.
Quote:
5. Any advice regarding out of state purchases?
See my response to 4
Quote:
6. Any thing else I should consider, might be overlooking?
I would join this forum for at least a year. It was certainly very valuable to me for the first year. I would also go over to RV Net. I don't think there as good as this board, but they are useful.

I would also do a driveway camp for my first excursion. That is always helpful.

While you are driveway camping figure out what you are going to stow where, while you towing and when setup. One of the quickest ways to sour on TM is developing a stowing plan. You especially should stay displined about where you put things when you are camping: it keeps the aisles clear and the trailer looking uncluttered.

If you have not had much experience backing up, go to a Walmart and set up some cones. I make sure if anyone is guiding me in, they tell me "curbside" or "driver's side" instead of left or right.

Watch the gas pumps. The previous owner put a small crease in the trailer getting too close to one.

Hope this helps...