View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #6
grakin

For freezing of fresh water lines, I've found the shower lines tend to freeze (that may be fixable with insulation), and on particularly cold days the water pump freezes in my 2619 (other models that place the water tank in different places may differ). I don't generally like to let them freeze, even though they can supposedly handle it, because it still ends up being my problem when they freeze.

The big problem is the gray water tank - huge surface area, completely exposed to the weather under the trailer, and water expands when it freezes - I can see that tank cracking, and also the ABS waste pipes cracking on the side towards the tank from the valves, but maybe someone has other thoughts on it. I've never wanted to risk it - replacing that tank is a $1500 job or so at a dealer.

Freezing aside, if you plan on staying in the TM for a week at a time, you need to do a couple things IMHO to save water:

1. "Navy" showers

2. CONSERVE, CONSERVE, CONSERVE!

3. When you fill the fresh tank, fill the toilet and water heater at the same time. If you leave them empty and fill them at your parking space, you will need about 9 gallons of water to do that.

4. If you have a model that can have the 40 gallon water tank instead of the standard 30, that's probably worth the upgrade.

I'm sure someone more clever than me, or with more time on their hands, could keep everything from freezing - heck, there are electric mat heaters for waste tanks and also heated valves, but of course they need utility power to run (not battery). It's just been easier for me to shower elsewhere in cold weather (and I keep a couple gallons inside in plastic jugs, along with a bucket for gray water, to wash dishes and cook and such).