View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #29
lnussbau

We looked at the Chalet (at the Car Show in Colorado Springs) before winding up with the 2720SL- just the wife and me, and the extra living space is nice).

Note that the Car Show is a very experienced TM dealer, and they've been pretty decent to work with. They're one of the better dealers out there.

• Low Profile Roof Air Conditioning- Does this provide heat too, seems like I read somewhere it did?

Yes, it does provide some heat -- takes a while to notice, though, and it's loud and draws a lot of juice. Useless, of course, when you aren't plugged in. We bought a small Holmes electric heater that, so far, has given us all the heat we want, even when set on low (the propane furnace isn't exactly quiet either, though it works without shore power). It's also a MUCH better choice if you're running on a generator (we have the Honda 2000i).

• TV Antenna w/Amplifier - Would I need this is I got the Satellite system?

Since we don't have satellite, we find this handy on the occasions that we actually watch TV, and you might consider what it means for resale some day, even if you don't need it yourself.

• Hanging cabinet over sink, Hanging cabinet over stove - Are these too much of a pain to setup, in frequent stop camping than they are worth?

The hanging cabinet is nice -- we keep plastic plates and cups, condiments, etc. in it, and it only takes a few seconds to hang -- lift, slide in to catches, and release. Much better than having something else in the way on the floor or counter to store these items.

• Microwave Box w/Drawer - What does this really do, is it necessary

It just makes the small counter space next to the wardrobe be level with the rest of the counter. We find it handy, and we store silverware in the drawer.

• Swing Hitch (reduces length by 2') Can this be changed later?

I don't think the Car Show carries this from the factory, though you can order it. However we wanted this feature, so they installed it themselves. They actually do it better than the factory (at least in 2006), as they install a couple of large, heavy bolts to hold it together and eliminate the slop (and other potential problems) that was in the factory unit. It works well, and seems to be as strong (the way they did it) as it would be without the swing hitch.

"Do you know if you can add an extra access door. I was thinking about a small door I could use to put my cat inside while the TM is closed for times when I stop and don't want to leave her in the car. I'd assume it'd stay more comfortable in there if I stop for lunch or something."

If you look carefully at the TM when it's closed up, you'll see that you'd have to cut through both the top and bottom shells, as well as the bottom door half, to put in a cat door. The two top halves overlap for a good chunk of the middle of the TM when it is closed. And there's not a lot of room inside when closed, plus it's bound to heat up in the sun. Ventilation would be lacking, also.

I can't really comment on your other items, though. Good luck.