View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
sail_ski

Default Re LED light power source/ Boondocking

Buck

The LED's can not be run directly by 120V ac power.There are LED lamps that step down the power but that is not what you want.

All of the overhead lights of the Trail manor are run at 12 volt's. The source of power is done two different ways but the results are the same.

1. TM is hooked up to Shore power @ 120VAC. The inverter in your TM steps the power down to 12 volts - actually its a bit higher about 13.8 to 14 to let your battery charge. the stepped down power runs the lights, Pump Etc

2. No connection to shore power. Run everything off of battery. If 120 volt
power is required an inverter from 12 to 120volts is needed to run TV.

- Easiest Replacement
12v LED lights. One of the many links is www.superbrightleds.com. The TM 12v incandescent overhead light is an 1141 bulb or equivalent. Also an automotive 1156 light bulb will work. So look for bulb with at least 19 led's These however are not cheap but fit in the existing bulb socket- no wiring required.

Another easy option
I have just discovered that Walmart carries a stick up or stick on LED light (Tap Light with 4 AA batteries) made by Meridan. Also Walmart has another called (Wireless LED puck lights) made by RiteLite. I'm in the process of testing these to see if they will work. LED ring camp lights. I'm looking for these locally.

The stick ons require no wiring. They work with internal batteries. Internal batteries can be eliminated by Wiring to the TM bulb socket I will post a voltage regulator that can be wired from socket to stick-on. The voltage for stick ons are 6, 4.5 & 3 volts depending on model.

More difficult option
Change wiring on tap-on or camp ring light & wire directly to existing bulb socket eliminating unit batteries. Voltage regulation is required and requires a few simple components. I'm an Electrical engineer so I can do this stuff and will post if cheaper lights work out.
Bob