View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
2bcs1jrt

I've had a hard time convincing my husband that our very used TM that we bought last summer was worth the $$. We've had all the usual problems, most relating to things that come apart when towing on bumpy roads...which is nearly all roads here in CA these days. Especially I-5, aka "pot hole central", where fellow motorists want to run you down if you do less than 70mph.
This 10 year old small TM cost $3000 more than our small Coleman tent trailer brand new. Nothing ever went wrong with the Coleman. However the Coleman had zero comfort features outside of a stove and a furnace. The comfort in the TM was important to me. The hard walls, the bathroom and shower. DH is not as easily swayed. While he loves the comfort of the TM, he gets angry at the design flaws especially in light of the cost of the TM. He would have been happier with the no hassel tent trailer where all we had to worry about was tires. Having said all this, we were recently hashing over what we would do if we didn't have the TM. We agreed that we would always have SOMETHING to camp in. With that in mind, and the knowledge that I would not be willing to go back to a tent trailer, our conclusion was that it would have to be a TM or something like it that didn't sacrifice gas mileage and was easy to tow with a moderate TV. So far I have not seen a TT that fits the criteria. Since I doubt we will be paying $20,000+ for another TM, we had better make this one last. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't have purchased mine if I had known more about it, yet ultimately, I'm glad I did. I really enjoy camping in it. We both do. Do I sound conflicted?...I am!

Bottom line: They cost too much and have some design flaws that desperately need attention but they do fill a niche in the TT world that others, so far have not.
Cheri