View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
lnussbau

As mentioned many times above, so much depends on where you live and where you haul the trailer. Here in Colorado, there are times in the winter when a 4WD is a blessing. And it's often needed if you're going on back roads in the mountains, even without the trailer.

So far, though, I've not used 4WD when towing, but there are places I may go where it would help, if not actually be required. Still, I have 4WD mainly for other uses (off road, etc.).

I've noticed that, on the new Ford F-150s, the 2WD is EPA rated at 15/19 and the 4WD at 14/18, all else being equal. And you don't lose much mileage over a 2WD when 4WD is not engaged -- mostly a weight difference (not large), as the front hubs are generally free wheeling.

But if you're in the eastern US and don't get off paved roads (except perhaps New England winters), you probably don't need 4WD. So unless you plan to tow into areas where 4WD is needed (or spend a lot of time in the western US), I'd base the decision on your use for the vehicle other than towing.