View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
PopBeavers

I use 4wd when I go skiing at Tahoe in the winter. I could get by with chains, but since I have 4wd I use it.

About once a year I use it when towing. In one campground I stayed at the gravel road is on a hill and the parking space for the campsites are gravel and terraced into the hillside. Without it the campground management would have to move my TM in and out of the campsite.

If you rarely drive in snow and never drive off of paved roads then you don't need it.

Once you have it there are many more places that you can go that would otherwise be unavailable to you. If you don't want to go to these places then you have no use for 4wd.

When dad was still alive we did a lot of hunting in the fall. We drove perhaps 20 miles down a forest service dirt road. Then we drove another 3 miles down a jeep trail. 4wd is a must for that environment.

If you take a trailer down a forest service road in the fall and wake up in the morning to discover the first snowfall of the season, you may need 4wd to get back to a paved road.

I have been driving 4wd since 1970. I only use it sometimes. I certainly don't need it in my daily driver. It has only snowed twice in my lifetime in San Jose/San Francisco.