View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #5
Joseph

Default Depends on what you do . . .

I have towed only with full size pickups. Two and Four wheel drive. I got the 4x4 while living in Santa Fe NM. I wanted to get off in the National Forests and do what is sometimes call dispersed camping. I pulled a pop up all over Carson National Forest " two trackin " and used the four wheel drive. The truck was also used in the snow while there. It was not purchased as a " status symbol " but as a work truck. Since moving back east I have learned that the four wheel drive part is not needed. The National Forests here are not conducive to rambling around as there is not much open space as compared to the National Forests out west. Since the vehicle is paid for and sits a great deal of the time I am keeping it. I am sort of attached to it! On my last trip out west I used the four wheel drive only once. Pulling the TM out of a terraced gravel campsite that had a sharp curve that needed to be completed to get out. In a KOA in Kentucky! I have used it pulling the TM out of some state park campsites here in Georgia so as not to " sling gravel " on the TM should the rear tire (on the inside part of any curve) break loose. But since returning to the east that is about it! I could manage just fine without it. I like having that extra layer of traction available at the touch of a button should I need it. When I think about a replacement tow vehicle I do not look at the 4x4's But I do think about some type of automatic positive traction rear axle though.... Did I say that? Quick Honey, take the check book and hide it from me!