View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default 4x4 or a 4x2 for camping?

Lou,
What the others have said is absolutely true, IMHO. However, please note that all of the answers and opinions are based on what they like to do and/or where they like to go. So, you need to determine what works best for you in the places you live and travel.

When we moved to the mountains, where we can have snow on the ground 6 months of the year (and we don't tow in that stuff), we need our 4x4's (a truck and a small SUV) with studded tires just to go to the grocery store and church!

There have been a couple of instances in the past 7 years since we bought our 4x4's that they have gotten us out of difficulty in tall, wet grass as we were backing into a campsite, and another instance when the gravel was not well packed down and the rear tires started to spin as I was backing the trailer into a site that was elevated above the roadway. If those were the only instances for using 4x4 in 7 years, I would not recommend spending the extra money.

However, I have other needs for a 4x4 6 months of the year, so it was money well spent.