View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
BobRederick

Lou

I bought my first 4x4 about 15 or 20 years ago and hope to never be without one again. I love it. We do dry camping a lot and putting it into 4-Low is awesome. You can creep into the site with the engine at an idle. The tranny seems to lock in and doesn't stall. This lets you go slowly into the site while watching all the corners to not bump into trees or rocks or tree stumps. It also lets me pull out of sand when we go to the Great Sand Dunes where that last bit of the trip is out onto the loose sand to park.

Interestingly, last week, we went over Sonora Pass in the Sierras of California. We were loaded pretty heavy after 4 months working in Ca. I had my GMC Envoy at 10,000 feet, down to 10 MPH in low, floored, and loosing speed on some of the slopes. Bonnie kept reminding me that I could go into 4-Low (which gives a 3:1 gear reduction) if I had to as she kept marveling at the scenery and shooting pictures. I was sweating bullets and will never forget that bit of road.

Then after you park and unhook, you are free to go just about anywhere you want and Bonnie and I find that getting off the highway is pretty interesting.

I hope this helps. JUst be aware that you may find entirely different things make you happy.