View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #7
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Ray's mention of the possibility of air shocks affecting the Brake Proportioning Valve rang my bell. Like many Honda Odyssey owners who frequent the Odyssey owners site, we have installed Airlift bags in our rear coil springs to inprove handling while both towing and solo. The bags only lift the unloaded rear of the van about 1/4" when pumped to 20 psi (which is where we normally run them) but keep it from squatting and wallowing while running loaded. I've found them to be an overall handling improvement but the possibility they are compromising our ABS brake system concerns me.

Hitched to our TM2619 with a 400/4000 one-armed WDH (no sway bar) we are level and weigh out at 2660 front axle, 2640 rear and 2890 trailer axle - all of which are within spec but we are uncomfortably close to GCWR. The Odyssey weighs 4300 dry, has an 118 wheelbase and we have experienced absolutely no sway (as in zip) in 14k miles of towing in the 55-70 mph range under a variety of condition and up to about 5000 ft. We've had no braking problems but have habitually avoided panic braking situations so our brakes have never been tested under severe conditions.

Anyone see a problem with our setup? yes I know a more capable TV would be nice, and I'm looking, but finding something as versatile and even close to as fuel efficient as the Odyssey has alluded me so far.

Frank
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote