View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #15
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Kory -

I'll add one more to your list of 5.

6. If the helpful guy who guides you to your campsite offers to help you back in, politely but firmly decline. You and your guide have agreed on where you want to end up, what you are going to do to get there, and how to do it. He has no knowledge of any of that. He will stand back and wave his arms in a manner that makes no sense to you, and if he doesn't make you run into something, he will put you where you don't want to be, and you will end up correcting it after he leaves.

Some of these guys are pretty insistent, especially if the lady in your group is doing the directing. You need to practice saying "Thanks, but no thanks. We have our own system, and it works".

Bill
I couldn't agree more... I absolutely HATE when people butt in and say "Hey, you guys need help".

I'll share a story.
DW and I were taking a little weekend sabbatical in Evanston WY, at a cute little RV park. When we pulled in (Drive through site) we began to unhook and set up, when the guy in the next site says "Ya'll need some help" we politely declined and went about the setup process. In endeavoring to "unhitch" the tongue would not disengage from the ball on the hitch. We tried several attempts but no go (The reason why I will explain at the end). Finally, I said "screw it, I'll just unpin the hitch from the receiver and be done with it. All the while our neighbor was watching and give some helpful hints. "Ya'll should put more grease on your ball next time", Give it a whack with a hammer! Ya'll got a hammer handy? I got one ifn ya need one".

We pulled the retaining pin on the hitch and drove the TV away, and then the ball came right out of the tongue. Never wanting or needing our neighbor's help. He then spent a couple of minutes sharing his pearls of wisdom on trailers, life, and various other items of little interest to us.

Epilogue: We discovered why the ball and tongue were failing to disengage. We have started using a leveling system that looks like a "comma" that allows you to roll the trailer's low side up on to a graduating incline. Works like a dream, except if you don't use the accompanying "wedge" the trailer wants to roll back or forward depending on the way it's applied. That "rolling" torque was putting pressure on the retaining latch and keeping us from freeing it from the ball.....No matter how much grease we used!

https://www.amazon.com/KOBANOICA-Lev...664950&sr=8-13
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote