View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #20
camp2canoe

Couldn't locate The Great Tire Experiment, but this seems a likely place to post. Coming back from Meramec State Park Sunday, just after dark (natch), as I exited I72 I lost the entire tread off the driver's side Goodyear Marathon on my '05 TM2619. I suspect I may have run over something because the passenger side was way low and essentially flat the next morning - about 3 miles from the blowoff. The sensation from the blowoff was similar to running over a line of reflectors or a rumble strip - then smoother as soon as the tread separated. No handling problems at all but I was probably only doing 30 mph or so at the time. Both tires appeared fine when leaving Meramec, about 175 miles back, and when stopping for gas in Troy, IL, about 60 miles back. I was doing about 64 mph since crossing in to Illinois. No casualties to my knowledge except for the skirt and I think that a stainless fender washer will take care of that.

I've just purchased two Power King TOWMAX/STs in ST215/75R14 from the local Goodyear Dealer with metal stems, mounting and balancing for $172.91. He said they were "just as good" as the Marathons and they were considerably less expensive. He also talked me out of replacing the spare which looked good and obviously had been out of the sun - he said I should replace it in 8 or so years if unused. I'll post if I have any problems. - camp2canoe